SIU Investigating Incident in which a Vehicle Crashed into a Toronto Public Library Building
Case Number: 17-TVI-108
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TVI-108
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding an early morning incident in which a vehicle crashed into a Toronto Public Library building.
Preliminary information indicates the following occurred:
- Just before 4:00 a.m. on May 11, 2017, Toronto Police Service officers were in the Dupont Street and Lansdowne Avenue area when they encountered a vehicle driving at a high rate of speed.
- Officers attempted to stop the vehicle.
- A short time later, the vehicle crashed into the Toronto Public Library located at Bloor Street West and Gladstone Avenue.
- A 23-year-old man was taken to hospital with a serious injury.
The SIU has assigned five investigators and two forensic investigators as part of this investigation.
The SIU is appealing to anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342