SIU Investigating Incident in which a Vehicle Crashed into a Toronto Public Library Building
Case Number: 17-TVI-108
- Just before 4:00 a.m. on May 11, 2017, Toronto Police Service officers were in the Dupont Street and Lansdowne Avenue area when they encountered a vehicle driving at a high rate of speed.
- Officers attempted to stop the vehicle.
- A short time later, the vehicle crashed into the Toronto Public Library located at Bloor Street West and Gladstone Avenue.
- A 23-year-old man was taken to hospital with a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897