Investigation Started after Vehicle Collides with Residence in Scarborough
Case Number: 17-TVI-109
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TVI-109
An investigation has started into an overnight incident that ended when a vehicle crashed into a residence in Scarborough.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Just before midnight on May 12, 2017, Toronto Police Service officers encountered a vehicle near McNicoll Avenue and Markham Road. The vehicle was travelling at a high rate of speed.
- Not long after there was a collision reported at the intersection of Morningside Avenue and Staines Road. A vehicle had crashed into a residence.
- A 28-year-old man suffered a leg injury and was taken to hospital.
The SIU has assigned five investigators, two forensic investigators, and a collision reconstructionist to examine the circumstances of this incident.
One subject officer and three witness officers have been designated as part of this investigation.
The SIU is appealing to anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342