SIU Investigators Called to Collision Involving a Peel Regional Police Cruiser in Brampton
Case Number: 17-OVI-114
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVI-114
The province’s Special Investigations Unit has started an investigation into the circumstances surrounding a collision involving a Peel Regional Police cruiser and two other vehicles in Brampton last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following occurred:
- Just after 7:30 p.m. on May 17, 2017, a Peel Regional Police officer was responding to a domestic violence call. The police officer was travelling southbound on Main Street North in Brampton.
- In the area of English Street and Main Street North, the police cruiser was involved in a collision with two other vehicles.
- The female driver of one of the vehicles and the police officer were transported to hospital with serious injuries. The woman was treated and released.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, two forensic investigators, and one collision reconstructionist as part of this incident.
The Unit has designated one subject officer and two witness officers as part of this investigation.
The SIU is appealing to anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342