SIU Investigators in Cobourg to Investigate Death of Woman Following Police Interaction
Case Number: 17-OCD-126
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OCD-126
Investigators from the province’s Special Investigations Unit are examining the circumstances surrounding the death of a 24-year-old woman inside a residence in Cobourg.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Just before 9:45 a.m. today, Cobourg Police Service received a call about a dangerous situation.
- Not long after, three police officers attended a residence on Blake Street, in the William Street and King Street West area.
- Around 11:00 a.m., a non-police issued firearm was discharged.
- A 24-year-old woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
Five investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342