Investigators in Hamilton to Examine Overnight Incident that Led to Injury to Man
Case Number: 17-OCI-155
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OCI-155
(24 June, 2017) ---
Investigators from Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit are in Hamilton to examine an overnight incident in which a man suffered a serious injury.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Shortly after midnight, Hamilton Police Service officers were called for a disturbance at an A & W restaurant in the area of King Street West and Bay Street North.
- Officers attended and located a man near Gore Park. There was an interaction as the man was arrested.
- The man suffered a serious injury and was taken to hospital.
The SIU has designated one subject officer and two witness officers as part of this investigation.
Two investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to examine the circumstances of the incident.
The SIU is appealing to anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342