SIU Investigating Niagara-on-the-Lake QEW Collision
Case Number: 17-PVI-158
- Shortly after noon on Monday, June 26, 2017, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was operating radar on westbound QEW when he observed a westbound vehicle driving at a high rate of speed.
- The officer began to follow the vehicle.
- A short time later, the driver of the vehicle exited the QEW at Glendale Avenue, lost control and ended up in a ditch beside the ramp.
- The driver of the vehicle was airlifted to hospital with serious injuries. The passenger of the vehicle was transported to a local hospital, but was not diagnosed with any serious injury and was released.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342