Incident in which Man Seriously Injured in Midland Subject of SIU Investigation
Case Number: 17-OOI-163
A Midland-area man has been seriously injured following an interaction with Midland Police Service officers and the province’s Special Investigations Unit has started an investigation into the incident.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Around midnight, a man arrived at the Georgian Bay General Hospital.
- A short time later, police officers responded to a disturbance at the hospital.
- There was an interaction with the man.
- Sometime after the interaction, the man was found without vital signs outside the hospital.
- The man was transported to a Toronto-area trauma centre. He is listed in critical condition.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342