SIU Investigating Incident in Chatham that Ended with a Man Suffering Severe Burns
Case Number: 17-OOI-167
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OOI-167
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding an incident in Chatham that ended with a man suffering severe burns.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Just after 1:30 a.m., Chatham-Kent Police Service officers received a call about a man in distress.
- Police officers attended a residence in the St. Clair Street and McNaughton Avenue West area.
- A short time after, the man suffered serious burns to a significant portion of his body.
- The 43-year-old man was transported to a local hospital before being airlifted to a Toronto trauma centre.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU has designated two subject officers and two witness officers as part of this investigation.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342