SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Interaction between Man and Police Officers in Toronto
Case Number: 17-TCI-177
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCI-177
- At approximately 1:30 p.m. on Monday, July 10, 2017, officers with the Toronto Police Service attempted to stop a man in the area of Adelaide Street West and University Avenue.
- The man fled from the police officers.
- Police officers located the man in the area of Simcoe Street, between the United States Consulate General and Canada Life buildings, and there was an interaction.
- The man sustained injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342