SIU Investigating Death of Man in Thunder Bay
Case Number: 17-OCD-182
- At approximately 7:45 p.m. on Wednesday, July 19, 2017, Thunder Bay Police Service officers responded to an address on Fort William Road to deal with an individual. EMS personnel were also present, and they medically cleared the man.
- Shortly after, the man was taken to the Thunder Bay police station where he was lodged in a cell.
- Shortly after midnight, the man was found not breathing. CPR was commenced, and EMS was contacted.
- The man was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead at 1:30 a.m. on July 20, 2017.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342