Death of Man in Chatham-Kent Prompts SIU Investigation
Case Number: 17-OCD-190
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OCD-190
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is looking at the circumstances surrounding the death of a man inside a home in Chatham-Kent.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Sometime before midnight on July 26, 2017, Chatham-Kent Police Service received a 911 call regarding a domestic incident.
- A short time later, CKPS officers responded to a home in the St. Clair Street and McNaughton Avenue area. They remained outside the residence.
- Around 7:00 a.m., police officers entered the home.
- A 52-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Four investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342