SIU Investigation Started following Bank Robbery and Crash in Guelph
Case Number: 17-OVI-201
- Around 10:30 a.m., Guelph Police Service received a call about a bank robbery.
- Police officers responding to the call located a suspect vehicle.
- A short time later, the vehicle struck a sign at 1499 Gordon Street.
- Following the collision, two young men were arrested.
- A third young man – who was in a rear passenger seat of the vehicle that crashed – was rushed to hospital. He is in serious condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1863 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1863