SIU Charges Police Officer in Relation to Man’s Arrest in North York
Case Number: 16-TSA-271
- Shortly after midnight on November 30, 2015, TPS officers responded to the area of Maple Leaf Drive and Jane Street in North York as a result of receiving a 911 call.
- Outside of an apartment complex at 300 Queen’s Drive, police officers arrested a man who was sitting in a taxi cab.
- The man sustained serious injuries in the course of the arrest.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342