SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Interaction between Man and Police Officers in Newmarket
Case Number: 17-OCI-220
- Around noon on Monday, August 21, 2017, York Regional Police (YRP) officers attended the area of Yonge Street and Savage Road after receiving reports of a male with a weapon.
- YRP officers located the man and were able to disarm him.
- The man was transported to hospital where he was diagnosed with an arm injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342