Witnesses Sought as part of Investigation into Arrest of Woman in Downtown Toronto
Case Number: 17-TCI-228
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCI-228
Investigators are seeking the assistance of any person who may have witnessed the arrest of a 32-year-old woman in downtown Toronto.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Close to 6 p.m. on August 23, 2017, a Toronto Police Service officer arrested a 32-year-old woman near the intersection of Queen Street and Jarvis Street.
- The woman was taken to hospital and diagnosed with a serious injury.
Investigators believe there may be a number of witnesses to the incident, given the time of day it occurred and the amount of foot and vehicle traffic in the area.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also asking anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342