Single Vehicle Rollover near Smiths Falls Subject of SIU Investigation
Case Number: 17-PVI-232
- Just after midnight on August 27, 2017, Ontario Provincial Police and Smiths Falls police officers were called to a dispute.
- When police officers arrived, a man in a vehicle fled.
- A short time later, police officers saw the fleeing vehicle.
- At this point, the fleeing vehicle struck two police cruisers.
- Not long after, the fleeing vehicle crashed on Highway 15 at Golf Club Road.
- The driver of the vehicle – a 29-year-old man – was taken to hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897