Single Vehicle Rollover near Smiths Falls Subject of SIU Investigation
Case Number: 17-PVI-232
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PVI-232
- Just after midnight on August 27, 2017, Ontario Provincial Police and Smiths Falls police officers were called to a dispute.
- When police officers arrived, a man in a vehicle fled.
- A short time later, police officers saw the fleeing vehicle.
- At this point, the fleeing vehicle struck two police cruisers.
- Not long after, the fleeing vehicle crashed on Highway 15 at Golf Club Road.
- The driver of the vehicle – a 29-year-old man – was taken to hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342