SIU Called to Investigate Police-Involved Shooting following Street Corner Stabbing in Toronto
Case Number: 17-TFI-258
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TFI-258
- Around 9:15 a.m., Toronto Police Service received a 911 call about an assault.
- A short time later, two TPS officers encountered a man stabbing another man on the sidewalk at the corner of Driftwood Avenue and Cobbler Crescent.
- There was an interaction with the man who was stabbing the other man and one police officer discharged his firearm.
- A 26-year-old man was struck.
- The man who had been shot and the man who had been stabbed were both rushed to hospital. The man who was stabbed is believed to be 60-years-old.
- At present, both men are listed in non-life-threatening condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342