SIU Started Investigation into Collision between Peel Regional Police Cruiser and Taxi in Brampton
Case Number: 17-OVI-266
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVI-266
(21 September, 2017) ---
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit has started an investigation into the circumstances surrounding a collision between a Peel Regional Police cruiser and a taxi.
Preliminary information indicates the following occurred:
- Around 2:00 p.m. on September 20, 2017, a taxi was driving into the intersection at Bramalea Road and Bovaird Drive in Brampton.
- A Peel Regional Police cruiser also entered the intersection at the same time.
- There was a collision between the cruiser and the taxi.
- A 30-year-old man – who was a passenger in the taxi – was assessed at hospital with a serious injury.
The SIU has assigned one investigator, two forensic investigators, and a collision reconstructionist as part of this investigation.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also asking anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342