SIU Started Investigation into Collision between Peel Regional Police Cruiser and Taxi in Brampton
Case Number: 17-OVI-266
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVI-266
- Around 2:00 p.m. on September 20, 2017, a taxi was driving into the intersection at Bramalea Road and Bovaird Drive in Brampton.
- A Peel Regional Police cruiser also entered the intersection at the same time.
- There was a collision between the cruiser and the taxi.
- A 30-year-old man – who was a passenger in the taxi – was assessed at hospital with a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342