SIU Investigating After Vehicle Being Followed in Toronto Crashes into Light Standard
Case Number: 17-TVI-269
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TVI-269
- On Thursday, September 21, 2017, Toronto Police Service (TPS) officers were traveling westbound on Eglinton Avenue.
- Around 12:30 p.m., officers attempted to stop a vehicle.
- The vehicle drove away and a short time later collided into a light standard in the area of Eglinton Avenue East and Rumsey Road.
- One of the passengers in the vehicle was transported to hospital where she was diagnosed with a back injury. The driver of the vehicle fled the scene, and another passenger was arrested.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342