SIU Terminates Investigation into Falling Injuries Sustained by Man in Timmins
Case Number: 17-OCI-234
(27 September, 2017) ---
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit, Tony Loparco, has terminated an investigation into the falling injuries sustained by a man in Timmins in August of 2017.
A preliminary investigation found the following:
• On Tuesday, August 22, 2017, Timmins Police Service officers began searching for a man to charge him in relation to a domestic incident.
• The following day, the officers attended a residence where they thought the man might be staying. While officers were at the location, the man escaped and fled the area.
• On Monday, August 28, 2017, the man was located in a hospital. He had sustained serious leg injuries.
Director Tony Loparco said, “I have terminated the investigation into this incident as the man’s injuries resulted from his jumping from a roof and had nothing to do with his contact with the police.”
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342