SIU Investigating after Man on Bicycle Struck by Vehicle in Belleville
Case Number: 17-OVI-283
- Just before 12:30 p.m. on September 30, 2017, Belleville Police Service officers viewed a man riding a bicycle along the Riverfront Trail. The police officers called to the man, who did not respond but rode away.
- A short time later, the man on the bicycle was struck by a southbound vehicle at the intersection of Coleman Street and Catharine Street.
- The 33-year-old man was taken to Belleville General Hospital before being transported to Kingston General Hospital. The man is being treated for a number of fractures and other serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342