SIU Investigating after Man on Bicycle Struck by Vehicle in Belleville
Case Number: 17-OVI-283
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVI-283
- Just before 12:30 p.m. on September 30, 2017, Belleville Police Service officers viewed a man riding a bicycle along the Riverfront Trail. The police officers called to the man, who did not respond but rode away.
- A short time later, the man on the bicycle was struck by a southbound vehicle at the intersection of Coleman Street and Catharine Street.
- The 33-year-old man was taken to Belleville General Hospital before being transported to Kingston General Hospital. The man is being treated for a number of fractures and other serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342