SIU Investigating after Man on Bicycle Struck by Vehicle in Belleville
Case Number: 17-OVI-283
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVI-283
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding a police interaction that occurred in Belleville and that ended when a man on a bicycle was struck by another vehicle.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Just before 12:30 p.m. on September 30, 2017, Belleville Police Service officers viewed a man riding a bicycle along the Riverfront Trail. The police officers called to the man, who did not respond but rode away.
- A short time later, the man on the bicycle was struck by a southbound vehicle at the intersection of Coleman Street and Catharine Street.
- The 33-year-old man was taken to Belleville General Hospital before being transported to Kingston General Hospital. The man is being treated for a number of fractures and other serious injuries.
Two investigators, two forensic investigators, and one collision reconstructionist have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also asking anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342