SIU Investigating Vaughan Arrest of Man and Woman Who Were Wanted by Police
Case Number: 17-OCI-282
- At approximately 8:45 p.m. on Friday, September 29, 2017, YRP officers located the man and woman exiting the Vaughan Mills shopping centre, near the Toys R Us. There was a warrant out for the arrest of both individuals by the Niagara Regional Police Service (NRPS).
- During the man’s arrest, there was an interaction with police officers.
- The man was transported to hospital, and then transferred to the custody of NRPS.
- The man was again taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342