SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Hamilton Involving Waterloo Regional Police Service
Case Number: 17-OVD-287
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVD-287
- At approximately 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, October 5, 2017, the Waterloo Regional Police Service was made aware of an assault on a woman. On King Street East in Cambridge, a police officer located a vehicle linked to the assault and attempted to stop it.
- The vehicle did not stop. Instead, it made its way to Highway 401 east, and then eventually turned south onto Highway 6.
- Near Highway 6 and Campbellville Road, the vehicle was involved in a head-on collision with a tractor trailer.
- The driver of the vehicle, a male, and the passenger, a female, were pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342