Investigation Started Following Motorcycle Crash on Off-Ramp of Don Valley Parkway in Toronto
Case Number: 17-TVI-288
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TVI-288
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit has started an investigation into the circumstances surrounding a motorcycle collision that occurred on an off-ramp from the Don Valley Parkway (DVP) in Toronto.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Just after 12:30 p.m. on October 5, 2017, a Toronto Police Service officer attempted a traffic stop involving a motorcycle in the southbound lanes of the DVP.
- A short time later, on the off-ramp at York Mills Road, the motorcycle struck the rear of a van.
- A 46-year-old man – the driver of the motorcycle – was transported to hospital and diagnosed with a serious lower body injury.
Three investigators, two forensic investigators, and one collision reconstructionist have been assigned to this incident.
Investigators have designated one subject officer and four witness officers as part of this investigation.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also asking anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342