Collision with Cruiser in an Ajax Intersection Subject of SIU Investigation
Case Number: 17-OVI-293
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVI-293
- Just before 11:30 a.m. on October 9, 2017, a Durham Regional Police Service cruiser was travelling northbound on Harwood Avenue.
- The cruiser entered the intersection at Rossland Road and collided with another vehicle.
- The female driver of the vehicle – thought to be in her 70s – was transported to hospital and diagnosed with a fractured pelvis. A 12-year-old female passenger suffered a minor injury.
- The police officer operating the cruiser was also taken to hospital and treated for a leg injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342