Serious Injuries Sustained during Rush Hour Arrest in Toronto; SIU Seeking Witnesses
Case Number: 17-TCI-294
- At 5:00 p.m. on October 10, 2017, a Toronto Police Service officer observed a man on a bicycle ride through a red traffic light on Queens Quay just west of Yonge Street.
- The police officer arrested the man.
- During the arrest, the 44-year-old man suffered a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1863