SIU Investigating After Cyclist Collides with Police Cruiser Door in Leaside
Case Number: 17-TVI-298
(14 October, 2017) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a cyclist in his 50s who collided with the door of a police cruiser this morning on the Leaside Bridge on Millwood Road in the area of Overlea Boulevard.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- At approximately 10 a.m. on Saturday, October 14, 2017, two Toronto Police Service officers attended the Leaside Bridge for a report of a person in distress. The cruiser was parked on the road, to the left of the bicycle lane.
- When one of the officers opened the passenger door of the cruiser, a cyclist collided with the door.
- He sustained upper body injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment.
Two investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident.
At this time, two witness officers and one subject officer have been designated.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342