SIU Investigating Dirt Bike Crash in Whitby
Case Number: 17-OVI-306
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVI-306
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding an incident that ended with a dirt bike crashing into a concrete barrier in a strip mall parking lot in Whitby.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Just after 10:30 p.m. on October 25, 2017, a Durham Regional Police Service officer was travelling eastbound on Victoria Street east of Thickson Road.
- At the same time two men on dirt bikes were travelling westbound on Victoria St. approaching Thickson Rd.
- The police officer turned around and followed the dirt bikes, which had pulled into the parking lot of a strip mall on the north side of Victoria St.
- A short time later, one of the dirt bikes crashed into a concrete barrier inside the parking lot.
- A 23-year-old man was transported to hospital with leg injuries.
Three investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also asking anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342