SIU Investigating Dirt Bike Crash in Whitby
Case Number: 17-OVI-306
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OVI-306
- Just after 10:30 p.m. on October 25, 2017, a Durham Regional Police Service officer was travelling eastbound on Victoria Street east of Thickson Road.
- At the same time two men on dirt bikes were travelling westbound on Victoria St. approaching Thickson Rd.
- The police officer turned around and followed the dirt bikes, which had pulled into the parking lot of a strip mall on the north side of Victoria St.
- A short time later, one of the dirt bikes crashed into a concrete barrier inside the parking lot.
- A 23-year-old man was transported to hospital with leg injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342