SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting Inside Hospital Emergency Room in Cobourg
Case Number: 17-OFD-313
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OFD-313
- Around 11:00 p.m., Cobourg Police Service received a call for reports of gun shots inside the Northumberland Hills Hospital.
- A short time later, two police officers encountered a 70-year-old man inside the emergency room of the hospital.
- There was an interaction and both police officers discharged their firearms.
- The man was struck. He was later pronounced dead at the scene.
- The body of a 76-year-old woman was also located at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342