SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting Inside Hospital Emergency Room in Cobourg
Case Number: 17-OFD-313
- Around 11:00 p.m., Cobourg Police Service received a call for reports of gun shots inside the Northumberland Hills Hospital.
- A short time later, two police officers encountered a 70-year-old man inside the emergency room of the hospital.
- There was an interaction and both police officers discharged their firearms.
- The man was struck. He was later pronounced dead at the scene.
- The body of a 76-year-old woman was also located at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1897 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1897