SIU Called to Investigate Arrest Outside Brampton Residence; One Man has Died
Case Number: 17-OCD-317
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OCD-317
The province’s Special Investigations Unit has been called to investigate an incident that occurred outside a residence in Brampton. A 44-year-old man has died.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Around 8:45 a.m. on October 31, 2017, Peel Regional Police received a 911 call from a man.
- Police officers responded to the call, outside a residence in the Bovaird Drive and McLaughlin Road area in Brampton.
- Officers interacted with a man and he was transported to hospital by ambulance.
- The 44-year-old man was pronounced dead at hospital.
The SIU has designated two subject officers and one witness officer as part of this investigation.
Three investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also asking anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342