Witnesses Sought for Collision Between OPP Cruiser and Other Vehicle; Civilians and Police Officers Sent to Hospital
Case Number: 17-PVI-331
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PVI-331
- Around 11:00 p.m. on November 9, 2017, two Ontario Provincial Police officers were transporting a prisoner in a police cruiser.
- At the intersection of Sidney Street and Dundas Street West, the police cruiser was involved in a collision with another vehicle.
- Five persons, including two police officers, were transported to hospital.
- Both OPP officers suffered serious injuries. The driver of the civilian vehicle, a 21-year-old man, also suffered a serious injury. None of the injuries is considered life threatening.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342