SIU Seeking Witnesses to Arrest Outside Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga
Case Number: 17-TCI-324
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCI-324
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is seeking any witnesses to an arrest involving Toronto Police Service officers inside the parking lot of Square One Shopping Centre on November 7, 2017.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Around 11:30 p.m. on November 7, 2017, Toronto Police Service officers arrested a man in the parking lot of Square One Shopping Centre in Mississauga.
- During that arrest, a 32-year-old man was injured.
- The man was taken to hospital, treated, and released into police custody.
Three investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to this incident.
SIU investigators believe one or more persons may have videotaped the interaction.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also asking anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342