SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 17-TCD-350
- At approximately 9:30 p.m. on Sunday, November 26, 2017, officers with the Toronto Police Service responded to an apartment building in the area of Sherbourne Street and Dundas Street East for a disturbance call.
- When police arrived, a 57-year-old man was in the security office – he was seated and had been handcuffed. The officers took over custody of the man and searched him. He sat back down.
- Shortly after, the man fell to the ground and went vital signs absent. Paramedics, who were already on scene, performed CPR on the man and transported him to hospital.
- He was pronounced dead at 11:15 p.m.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342