SIU Investigating Following School Yard Shooting Involving Toronto Police Service Officers
Case Number: 17-TFI-355
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TFI-355
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding a police-involved shooting that happened in the yard of an elementary school overnight in Scarborough.
Preliminary information suggests the following occurred:
- Just after 11:00 p.m. on December 1, 2017, Toronto Police Service received a call about a home invasion at a residence on Benshire Drive in Scarborough.
- Police officers arrived and saw a number of persons fleeing into Bendale Junior Public School.
- There was a short foot pursuit into the school yard.
- One police officer discharged his firearm.
- A 25-year-old man was struck. He was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Five investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU has designated one subject officer and three witness officers as part of this investigation.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342