SIU Investigating Following School Yard Shooting Involving Toronto Police Service Officers
Case Number: 17-TFI-355
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TFI-355
- Just after 11:00 p.m. on December 1, 2017, Toronto Police Service received a call about a home invasion at a residence on Benshire Drive in Scarborough.
- Police officers arrived and saw a number of persons fleeing into Bendale Junior Public School.
- There was a short foot pursuit into the school yard.
- One police officer discharged his firearm.
- A 25-year-old man was struck. He was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342