SIU Investigating Death in Douglas
Case Number: 17-PCD-360
- At approximately 3 p.m. on Wednesday, December 6, 2017, Ontario Provincial Police officers attended a residence in the area of Scotch Bush Road and Sutherland Road after receiving a call from a concerned family member.
- Officers located a man at the back of the property. While police were interacting with the man, he sustained a gunshot wound.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342