SIU Called for a Fatal Police-Involved Shooting following Hostage Situation at a Bank in York Region
Case Number: 17-OFD-363
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-OFD-363
Investigators with the province’s Special Investigations Unit are examining the circumstances surrounding a fatal police-involved shooting at a bank in Vaughan. The shooting followed a hostage situation.
Preliminary information indicates the following occurred:
- Just after 1:00 p.m. today, a man entered a bank at the corner of Dufferin Street and Major MacKenzie Drive in Vaughan.
- York Regional Police were notified that the man was inside the bank and that a number of persons were being held hostage.
- Police officers – including members of the Emergency Response Unit – arrived at the bank.
- Some time later, two police officers discharged their firearms.
- The 25-year-old man was struck. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Eight investigators and four forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342