SIU Called for a Fatal Police-Involved Shooting following Hostage Situation at a Bank in York Region
Case Number: 17-OFD-363
- Just after 1:00 p.m. today, a man entered a bank at the corner of Dufferin Street and Major MacKenzie Drive in Vaughan.
- York Regional Police were notified that the man was inside the bank and that a number of persons were being held hostage.
- Police officers – including members of the Emergency Response Unit – arrived at the bank.
- Some time later, two police officers discharged their firearms.
- The 25-year-old man was struck. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342