SIU Investigating Toronto Police in Relation to Injury Sustained by Man in Mississauga
Case Number: 17-TCI-368
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-TCI-368
- Shortly before 5 p.m. on Tuesday, December 19, 2017, Toronto Police Service officers began following a vehicle in the area of Fairview Road West and Hanson Road. Police had information that an occupant in the vehicle had been involved in a bank robbery.
- On Hurontario Street, at Rathburn Road, the vehicle became involved in a collision with four other vehicles. The man fled from the vehicle, but was soon after arrested.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342