SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting at OPP Detachment in Morrisburg
Case Number: 17-PFD-373
Other News Releases Related to Case 17-PFD-373
- Around noon on Saturday, December 23, 2017, a man entered the OPP detachment located at 6 Fifth Street West.
- There was an interaction between the man and officers and one of the officers discharged a firearm.
- The man was struck. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342