SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Mississauga
Case Number: 17-OFD-379
Investigators with the province’s Special Investigations Unit are examining the circumstances surrounding a fatal police-involved shooting in Mississauga.
Preliminary information indicates the following occurred:
· At approximately 12:30 a.m. on December 30, 2017, Peel Regional Police responded to a disturbance call to a residence in the area of Rathburn Road and Tomken Road in Mississauga.
· When police officers arrived the man had already left the area.
· He was located on Torino Crescent.
· There was an interaction and a police officer discharged his firearm. The man was struck.
· He was transported to St. Michael’s Hospital with vital signs absent.
· The man was pronounced dead in hospital.
Six investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident. At this time the SIU has designated one subject officer and five witness officers.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342