SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Douro Township
Case Number: 18-PCD-002
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 59-year-old man this afternoon in Douro Township, northeast of Peterborough.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- At approximately 3:15 p.m on January 1, 2018, Ontario Provincial Police received a call of a man in distress at a residence in Douro Township.
- Upon arrival officers entered the residence and located the man.
- He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Two investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342