SIU Investigating Interaction Inside OPP Detachment in Orillia
Case Number: 18-PCI-003
- Around 7:30 p.m. on January 2, 2018, a 28-year-old man entered the OPP Detachment in Orillia.
- Police officers determined there were outstanding warrants for the arrest of the man.
- During an attempt to arrest the man, there was a struggle between the police officers and the man. A conducted energy weapon was discharged.
- The man was taken to hospital and diagnosed with a head injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342