SIU Seeking Witnesses to Early Morning Crash in Peterborough
Case Number: 18-OVI-008
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OVI-008
- Around 7:20 a.m. on January 13, 2018, a Peterborough Police Service officer observed a vehicle travelling northbound on George Street (a one-way street for southbound traffic).
- The police officer attempted to stop the vehicle.
- A short time later, at the intersection of Water Street and Parkhill Road West, the vehicle the officer was attempting to stop collided with a second vehicle.
- The 55-year-old female driver of the second vehicle was taken to hospital and diagnosed with a serious leg injury.
- The 21-year-old male driver of the first vehicle and his passenger, also a 21-year-old man, were uninjured.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342