SIU Lays Assault Charges against Two Peterborough Police Service Officers
Case Number: 17-OCI-202
- At approximately 2 p.m. on August 3, 2017, the officers attended a commercial/residential building located in the area of Water Street and Simcoe Street as a result of receiving a call about a man causing a disturbance.
- The officers went to the second floor, where they were involved in an interaction with the 60-year-old man.
- The man was arrested and taken to the police station.
- He was then transported by ambulance to hospital where he was diagnosed with serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342