SIU Investigating Collision in Stratford
Case Number: 18-OVI-023
- At approximately 3 a.m. on January 31, 2018, a Stratford Police Service officer attempted to stop a vehicle at the intersection of Taylor Street and Norfolk Street.
- The vehicle did not stop, and moments later, crashed into a tree.
- The driver fled the scene, but three passengers from the vehicle were taken to hospital for treatment. The 21-year-old woman, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342