SIU Investigating Collision in Oshawa
Case Number: 18-OVI-025
- At approximately 12:15 a.m. on February 1, 2018, officers with the Durham Regional Police Service stopped a vehicle in the area of Townline Road and Nash Road.
- After a brief conversation with the occupants of the vehicle, the driver of the vehicle fled from the scene and the officers followed.
- Moments later, the driver of the vehicle lost control, flipped and struck a pole on Townline Road, north of Taunton Road.
- The driver took off on foot but was later apprehended with the help of a police canine.
- The 25-year-old driver and his 26-year-old passenger were both taken to hospital. Only the passenger was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342