SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting in Timmins
Case Number: 18-OFD-030
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFD-030
- At approximately 10:15 a.m. on Saturday, February 3, 2018, officers with the Timmins Police Service responded to the Emergency Medical Services building - located at 500 Algonquin Boulevard East – to deal with a man.
- When the man fled from the officers, they followed him.
- There was an interaction between the man and officers and one of the officers discharged a firearm.
- The man was struck. He was taken to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342