SIU Investigating Death of Woman in Timmins
Case Number: 18-OCD-033
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OCD-033
- At approximately 2:45 p.m. on Saturday, February 3, 2018, the Timmins Police Service (TPS) was called to the Timmins District Hospital to investigate a woman. When asked to leave, the woman got into a taxi and left.
- A short time later, the woman was allegedly causing a disturbance at a shelter in the area of Ross Avenue East and Hemlock Street. TPS officers arrested the woman and transported her to the police station where she was lodged in a cell.
- At approximately 10 p.m., an ambulance was called and the woman was taken to the hospital.
- On February 4, 2018, the TPS was notified that the woman had been pronounced dead in hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342