SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting in Ottawa
Case Number: 18-OFD-060
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-OFD-060
- At approximately 6:45 p.m. on Sunday, February 25, 2018, officers with the Ottawa Police Service responded to a grocery store located in the area of Richmond Road and Island Park Drive for a man with a weapon.
- Police located the man in an alleyway near the grocery store.
- There was an interaction between the man and officers, and one of the officers discharged a firearm multiple times.
- The man was struck. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342