SIU Investigating after Pedestrian Fatally Struck by Police Vehicle in Markham
Case Number: 18-OVD-062
- On the afternoon of February 26, 2018, a police officer with York Regional Police Service was operating an unmarked vehicle in Markham.
- At approximately 4:30 p.m., the vehicle collided with a pedestrian on Kennedy Road, north of Highway 7.
- The pedestrian was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342