SIU Appealing for Witnesses in Relation to Interactions with Man who Died near Kenora
Case Number: 18-POD-066
Other News Releases Related to Case 18-POD-066
- In the afternoon hours of February 27, 2018, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers with the Kenora detachment arrested a man at a home after receiving a complaint. The man was lodged in a cell and released that same day. The following day, the man was arrested again, this time outside the Kenora Fellowship Centre, located at 208 Water Street. He was lodged in a cell and released several hours later.
- At approximately 7 a.m. on March 5, 2018, Emergency Medical Services and OPP officers responded to the man’s residence in Washagamis Bay as a result of him being in medical distress.
- The man was transported to hospital and he was pronounced dead a short time later.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342